IN-STOCK, ORDER NOW!
VQ P-47 B “TOUCH OF TEXAS”
59″ EP/GP ARF
Choose the Famous P-47 B RAZOR BACK “TOUCH OF TEXAS” and relive a bit of US AVIATION HISTORY!
The Thunderbolt was the brainchild of Republic Aircraft’s chief designer, Alexander Kartveli. His challenge was to meet a 1940 Army Air Corps demand for a high speed, high altitude fighter with immense firepower. Republic had been developing the P-44, follow-on to its P-43 Lancer, but Kartveli realized it would fall far short of Army requirements. Kartveli molded the P-43’s lines into a new design patterned around the V-block Allison V-1710 engine. It later became clear that the new fighter, designated P-47, would never reach its potential with the under-powered Allison and it was replaced with a Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp radial mated to a turbocharger for high altitude performance. To take advantage of the powerful R-2800, Republic fitted an immense four-bladed propeller. With an armament consisting of eight .50-inch machine guns, maximum speed of well over 400 mph, and a maximum ceiling of 40,000 feet, the Thunderbolt was just what the Air Corps was looking for in a fighter.
One of the deadliest ground-attack platforms of World War II, the P-47 Thunderbolt saw extensive action in the European, Pacific and China-Burma-India theaters of operation. With the addition of long-range drop tanks, it proved to be a successful escort fighter for American B-17s and B-24s flying deep into Nazi Germany. With an empty weight of nearly 10,000 pounds, the P-47 was the largest and heaviest single-engine fighter of World War II. The aircraft’s weight, combined with its mighty 2,000 hp engine, gave the P-47 an extraordinary dive speed exceeding 525 mph. Its robust construction and lethal firepower made it not only a devastating ground-attack platform, but also a superb fighter.
The Thunderbolt saw action in nearly every theater of World War II, serving as the mount of numerous American aces, including Francis Gabreski and Robert Johnson. Two Texans were the only P-47 pilots to receive the Medal of Honor as Raymond Knight, from Houston and Neel Kearby from Wichita Falls received the award posthumously. Other nations that used the P-47 were the United Kingdom, Soviet Union, Brazil, Mexico, the Italian Co-Belligerent Air Force, and Free France. After the War, P-47s continued to serve in the Air National Guards, with France in Indo-China, and throughout Central and South America.
Charles D. MohrleCHARLES D. MOHRLE, born April 12, 1921 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, grew up in Galveston, Texas and attended the University of Texas. Following Pearl Harbor he enlisted as an Aviation Cadet and was commissioned with the class of 43.E at Moore Field, Mission, Texas. First assigned to the fighter base at Sarasota, Florida flying P-40’s and later transferred to the 405th Fighter Group, 510th Squadron at Walterboro, South Carolina. Initially equipped with P-39’s, the unit got its P-47’s two months before assignment to the 9th Air Force in England.
Based at Christchurch, he flew bomber escort, interdiction and dive bomb missions until Normandy D-Day. After the invasion, the 405th crossed the Channel to a strip near St. Mer Eglise on the Cherbourg Peninsula. Flying close support to the 3rd Army, the unit moved across France. In the course of his 97 missions, Charles destroyed numerous tanks and other motorized weaponry along with rail equipment, bridges, artillery, ammunition dumps and personnel.
Near Manheim, Germany, his P-47 took 88mm direct hits in the left wing and engine. As might be expected of a Jug, the “Touch of Texas” kept flying despite the loss of three cylinders, a huge portion of wing and a hydraulic fluid fire. Without injury to its pilot, the Jug was landed on one wheel in a dirt field behind Allied lines. And on twelve other missions his P-47 absorbed direct hits from ground fire, plus a collection of small arms ammunition that was removed from the ship.
Returning to the States, he was assigned to the air-to-air gunnery school at Yuma, Arizona where he flew target fighters and checked out in several bombers. Flying an RP-63, he was shot down by 30 caliber fire from a B-17, landing dead-stick without injury or aircraft damage. The 405th received a Presidential Unit Citation. Charles was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and Air Medal with 15 clusters. Released from duty in 1945, as a captain, he entered the graphic arts field, eventually owning an advertising agency in Dallas, Texas. He married Dorothy Onley in 1948 and has one son, Charles Michael.
- – All Balsa and lite-ply construction
- – Fully covered in weathered detail
- – Fiberglass Cowling
- – Hand painted pilot
- -Wing Pylons & Center Mount Bomb
- – Control surfaces pre-hinged and installed
- -Battery Pack Hatch Integrated Into Fuselage
- Wingspan: 59″
- Fuselage Length: 48″
- Weight: ~ 6.0- 6.5 lbs
- Engine req: .55 2 stroke, .70-82 4-stroke or equivalent electric power
- Radio req: 6 channel w/ 6-7 servos
Wheels, servo trays, engine mounts,fuel tank, fiberglass cowling, decals and all hardware.
* Does not include: retractable landing gear, scale spoked wheels, radio equipment, motor/engine, glue, aluminum wheels or silicone fuel line.