Pre-Order NOW/ Reservation Details – Please read this information carefully before ordering:
- We are now accepting pre-orders for the VQ 80″ F8F BEARCAT 80″. The current expected arrival date for this shipment is Mid January +/- 2018. Any changes to the ETA will be posted on this page. Exact arrival dates are not exact as there are many variables that can speed up or delay the arrival. Please note if you pre-order you are guaranteed a model included in the shipment. We cannot “reserve” a model from the shipment if it is not pre-paid.
- This is a high demand product, so we strongly recommend pre-ordering if you wish to receive a unit from this shipment. We will not have another shipment after this one until Summer 2018! So please plan ahead!!!
- In order to reserve your VQ 80″ F8F BEARCAT 80″ model your payment will be processed at the time your pre-order is placed.
Pre-order here now!
VQ 80″ F8F Bearcat 30cc EP/GP WARBIRD
The Grumman F8F Bearcat was one of the best piston-engine fighters to see operational service with the US Navy. It was also the last of a series of piston-engine carrier based fighters, which had been initiated with the FF-1 of 1931. It was designed primarily as an interceptor-fighter that would operate from carriers of all sizes. It never saw see action in WWII, as it was delivered too late, but surplus Navy Bearcats played an important role in the war in Indochina with the French Armée de l’Air and the Royal Thai Air Force. Eventually, Bearcats found their way into the civilian market and were featured attractions in the Reno Air Races in Nevada. (credit: http://www.aviation-history.com/grumman/f8f.html)
The VQ/Legend 80″ 30cc F8F BEARCAT is one in the same. This latest “VQ” version sold through us has the following updates:
Factory improved the steel wire pins used to connect the E-retracts with struts. They are now harder/stronger steel pins
Factory improved the hard wood cowling blocks.
- Material: Laser cut balsa and ply
- Wingspan: 80″ (2020 mm)
- Length: 60.6″ (1540mm)
- Weight: 15.6 – 16. lbs (7.1 – 7.3Kg)
- Radio: 8 channel, 9 standard servos***
- Engine: 30cc -40cc gas or 1.60 glow***
- Electric: 3000-4000 Watt brushless DC motor. (***see below)
- Optional VQ Electric Retracts and Scale Struts available***
- Pre-painted pilot
- Covered with pre-printed PVC film
- Factory Painted fiberglass cowl
- Fixed landing gear included
- Functional inner gear doors operable by servo
- Functional flaps
- Replica radial engine cover
- Cowl hatch for fuel tank/electronics/battery access
Width at Firewall: 10″ x 10″
Width at opening: 8.5″ x 8.5″
Depth to motor mount: 7″
Build notes / recommendations:
- Like most heavy metal WWII Warbirds the Bearcat needs significant weight up front to balance. The combined weight of the engine, fuel tank, rx batteries, and ballast needs to be approximately 2700g (6 lbs) to balance on the CG. Since this is far more than a typical 35-40cc power system weighs you might consider a larger power system rather than adding dead weight. Also consider placing your rx battery forward of the firewall.
- Strengthen the motor mount, cowl blocks, servo blocks and other critical joints with extra glue and or screws.
- Drill and pin all of the pre-installed hinges for safety.
- Fabricate and install a support for the rudder linkage to prevent unwanted flexing.
- For the optional retracts consider replacing the c-clip on the axle with a wheel collar.
Recommended Electric Setup (Not Included):
- Dualsky XM6360EA-10 218Kv motor (3081 Watt peak rating, 1694 Watts continuous)
- Dualsky XC10036HV 100A HV ESC (130A peak)
- Battery: 2 x 5S 35C 5000mAh lipos in series (10S)
- 2-blade Prop: 18 x 12
- Ramoser VarioProp 16D scale 4-blade Prop hub with 15.9″ to 16.6″ blades