VQ WARBIRDS IS SHIPPING THIS MODEL NOW!
ESM SBD DAUNTLESS IS IN STOCK!
Order with confidence in VQ WARBIRDS!!!
The Douglas SBD Dauntless was the main USN divebomber from 1940 until late 1943 when it was replaced by the SBD2C Helldiver. Built around an 1100 hp Wright Cyclone engine, the SBD was an popular and enduring design, with over 1000 built for the USN and Marines in only three years of service.
The Dauntless was equipped with two .50 calibre machine guns in each wing, and two in the rear gunner position. This meant that pilots of the Dauntless often took on lightly armoured Japanese fighters, which often lacked self-sealing fuel tanks, and a few hits would knock them out.
By virtue of returning to Hawaii from the USS Enterprise, the SBD was one of the first aircraft to fire in anger at the Japanese. Several aircraft were returning to Pearl Harbour from the USS enterprise, only to find it under attack. The Dauntless saw its first major engagement at the Battle of the Coral Sea, where along with TBD’s the Dauntless sunk the carrier INS Shoho, and were also used as fighters against Japanese torpedo bombers attacking the USS Lexington and USS Yorktown.
At the Battle of Midway, the SBD was instrumental in sinking 4 Japanese Carriers (The INS Akagi, INS Kaga, INS Soryu, and INS Hiryu), as well as heavily damaging or sinking two heavy cruisers. The importance of the SBD’s performance is difficult to overstate, as the Japanese navy was crippled by the losses. The USN would have a much easier time moving from battle to battle with 4 Japanese carriers at the bottom of the Pacific, so it was a critical win for the USN, and the SBD’s part in it was essential.
The SBD also participated in the Guadalcanal campaign, sinking the carrier INS Ryujo near the Solomon Island chain, and continued long past its obsolescence until the Battle of the Philippine Sea in 1944, after which it was retired in the navy. Marine SBD units continued to use the aircraft until the end of the war. It was responsible for more Japanese sunk than any other aircraft, and also finished the war with more aerial kills than losses to Japanese fighters, which is a fascinating statistic for a dive bomber.
Now you too can own a beautiful scale reproduction of his aircraft!
- -All composite fuselage construction, with built up wings and surfaces.
- -All scale details molded into the fiberglass parts, including panel lines and rivets.
- -Factory painted to scale, and pre-applied decals, covered with clear coat. Wing Covering Material: Solartex Fabric Covered, painted, decals applied and clear coated. The aircraft has a beautiful flat, non-glossy finish. This is superior to glossy covering materials.
- -Functional flaps.
- -All hardware included (screws, rods, fuel tanks etc…)
- -ESM GEN 4 ELECTRIC RETRACTS with oleo struts and alloy wheels available.
- SIERRA PRECISION retracts & TYS PLANES SCALE COCKPIT AND PILOT FIGURES ALSO AVAILABLE!
- -Illustrated instruction manual included.
- Wing Span: Approx 72″
- Weight: Approx 12.50 lbs Flying Weight
- Radio: 6 channel radio 9 servos
- Engine: 1.20-1.50 4-Stroke or 20CC-26CC gas*
- Does not include: radio, retracts, motor, glue, and fuel line
FULL SCALE SBD DAUNTLESS IN ACTION!