MODEL IN STOCK AS OF JULY 5, 2018!
ESM P-51D 55th FG SPECIAL EDITION, LIMITED QTY!!!
Order with confidence in VQ WARBIRDS!!!
The original Mustangs used an Allison engine which quickly was recognized as being not up to the task of escorting long range bombers, intercepting and tangling with the AXIS Fighters. The British suggested using a Rolls Royce Merlin 61 engine, whcih would drastically improve the aircraft’s high altitude performance. When this proved a successful variant it was designated the P-51B and put into full scale production. With the new engine and the improved high altitude performance, and especially the more efficient fuel economy, the aircraft proved capable of providing long range escort for allied bombers. This was especially true after the introduction of drop tanks. It entered full service in October of 1943.
After the introduction of the B version of the mustang, pilots reported that its poor rearward view was problematic, even though it was typical of most fighters of the era. Most of the RAF’s fleet were fitted with a malcolm hood, which had a similar appearance to the canopy of a spitfire. A better solution was the teardrop canopy which was being fitted on the RAF’s tempests and typhoons. North American Aviation modified the aircraft to accomodate this style of canopy, added two more .50 calibre machine guns, bringin the total to 6 and some minor changes to the landing gear which changed th profile of the leading edge of the wings. This variant became designated the P-51D, which proved one of the most important aircraft of all time. It was the predominant allied fighter aircraft from mid 1944 to the end of the war.
Now you too can own a beautiful scale reproduction of his aircraft!
- -All composite fuselage construction, with built up wings and surfaces.
- -All scale details molded into the fiberglass parts, including panel lines and rivets.
- -Factory painted to scale, and pre-applied decals, covered with clear coat. Wing Covered painted, decals applied and clear coated. The aircraft has a beautiful flat, non-glossy finish. This is superior to glossy covering materials.
- -Functional flaps.
- -All hardware included (screws, rods, fuel tanks etc…)
- -ESM GEN 4 ELECTRIC RETRACTS with oleo struts and alloy wheels available.
- SIERRA PRECISION RETRACTS AVAILABLE
- SCALE COCKPIT KIT and PILOT FIGURES AVAILABLE
- -Illustrated instruction manual included.
- 55th FG SPECIAL EDITION UPDATES:
- (5) SETS OF DECALS INCLUDED!
- Choose from: The MILLIE P, GUNFIGHTER, MISS VELMA, CAPE COD EXPRESS and MISS MARILYN II
- ALL (5) Sets of Markings included with each 55th FG SPECIAL EDITION ESM P-51D!!!
- Wing Span: Approx 71″
- Weight: Approx 13.5-15.5 lbs depending on personal set-up
- Radio: 6 channel radio 9 servos
- Engine: 1.20-1.50 4-Stroke or 26cc-35cc gas
- Does not include: radio gear/servos, retracts, engine/ motor, glue, or fuel line (Airframe only).